The first day I went to Rock Island High School to provide service through Ms. Elizabeth Kanter was very exciting. When Cassie R. and I first arrived at Elizabeth's classroom, the class periods were just changing. As we talked about what we would do while we were there, different students walked in the room saying "hello" or "hi" as they took their seats. Once the classroom was filled with students, Elizabeth introduced us to the class and asked which students would like help with their math skills. Four girls, all dressed differently, instantly raised their hands. As Cassie and I walked the four girls to the library, I noticed that some of them had different accents in their voices. The intercultural differences were noticeable between the girls, even though they conversed together. While we helped them with their math homework, they seemed shy at first, but the more we helped them, the more they became comfortable with us. They seemed very appreciative of our help, especially because they kept thanking us. It was definitely a rewarding experience. It was nice to take some time out of my day to help those girls with their homework and talk to them about some normal everyday things and information. I really enjoyed the experience and I cannot wait to go back and help again.
I now know that I can be open and interested the next time I provide service for the ESL program at Rock Island High School. I now know to expect that I sign in as a guest of the high school and go to Ms. Kanter's classroom and await instructions from her. I also expect that I will enjoy myself like I did my first time there.
No comments:
Post a Comment